Microsoft added a new security feature in Windows 8.1 called SmartScreen Filter. This feature was first introduces with Internet Explorer 8 to protect the user from accessing malicious websites. But in Windows 8.1, this SmartScreen filter was added to desktop level and later built into Windows 10 also. This security feature in Windows computer warns you about any malicious activity while browsing or downloading. You can easily enable or disable Windows 10 Microsoft SmartScreen Filter any time to your convenience. This SmartScreen filter is designed in a way to warn you about any malicious websites or downloads. Before we tell you how you can enable or disable Windows 10 Microsoft SmartScreen Filter, let’s first discuss what is SmartScreen and how can it help in protecting you?
What is Microsoft SmartScreen Filter for Windows?
SmartScreen Filter is a additional security feature which helps in identifying and reporting any phishing and malicious websites. It also protects you from downloading any malicious software or applications or files which could harm your computer. It also helps in protecting users against attacks that utilize social engineering and drive-by downloads to infect your computer.
SmartScreen helps protect you in four ways:
• As you browse the web, it analyzes the web pages and determines if they contain any malicious file or code. If it finds the web page suspicious, SmartScreen will display a warning page. The warning page gives you details of threat and also an opportunity to provide feedback.
• SmartScreen checks the sites you visit against a dynamic list of reported phishing sites and malicious software sites. If it finds a match, SmartScreen will show you a warning letting you know that the site has been blocked for your safety.
• SmartScreen checks files that you download from the web against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, SmartScreen will warn you that the download has been blocked for your safety.
• SmartScreen also checks the files that you download against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by other users who use Internet Explorer. If the file that you’re downloading isn’t on that list, SmartScreen will warn you.
How to Enable or Disable Windows 10 Microsoft SmartScreen Filter?
Their are multiple way you can enable or disable SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10. Some of them are mentioned below.
• Click on Windows logo at the bottom left and click on settings icon. Or click on Dialog box at bottom right and click on All Settings.
• In Windows Settings, select Privacy.
• In Privacy under General section you can enable or disable Windows SmartScreen Filter.
Another way to turn off Windows SmartScreen Filter is to navigate to Control panel. Select System and Security and then Security and Maintenance. Under Security you will find Windows SmartScreen. Click on Change Settings and in Windows SmartScreen Settings pop up you can turn off SmartScreen protection. If you disable it, you will be prompted with a security alert.
Furthermore, if you think that the website you are visiting is safe, you can report that website as safe. Select More information, and then select the Report that this site does not contain threats link to go to the Microsoft feedback site, and follow the instructions. So, these are the steps you can follow to enable or disable Windows 10 Microsoft SmartScreen Filter. If you like this article please share it and Subscribe to Tech Blog Out to get Tech advise and Tips & Tricks directly in your e-mail. Don’t forget to rate this article and Like our Facebook Page. You can also email me at email@example.com for any other assistance or feedback.